Friday, February 6, 2009

The story of "The Elm Tree". Thoughts on my new album.

Life is made up of moments and every moment is a gift.

There are moments when we lose hope. We can only see the bare limbs of winter trees. We forget that there is life pulsing through the roots in the frozen ground. We feel like we can’t make it through another day. But somehow we find the strength. Something reminds us of the blossoms that come every spring. Sometimes it’s a friend or a family member who offers a hand of comfort. Other times we rely on our faith to get us through.

As I was working on this album I read a favorite book of mine, “The Giving Tree,” by Shel Silverstein. It’s the story of a tree that loves a boy and gives everything to make the boy happy. I have always enjoyed the story but after my most recent reading I realized: I am the boy. I thought of people in my life who are the tree: my wife, my parents, a neighbor battling cancer, a young friend fighting in Afghanistan. They are strong, dependable, and giving. Even when there is nothing left to give, they continue to comfort, inspire and give me strength.

These songs are about moments of happiness, sorrow, courage, and hope.

This album is for the trees in my life.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home